Thursday, July 8, 2010

Am I considerate or what!

The first time I was in Sweden, one of my colleagues picked me up at the hotel every morning. It was September, bit cold and snowy. We would arrive early at the company and he would park far away from the entrance (2000 employees drive their car to work).

The first day, I didn't say anything, either the second or third. One morning I asked, "Do you have a fixed parking space? I've noticed we park far from the entrance even when there are no other cars in the lot." To which he replied, "Since we're here early we'll have time to walk, and whoever gets in late will be late and need a place closer to the door. Don't you think?

Well I like my parking place to be the closest to the entrance of the venue be it a wedding or a funeral. (I do forget that on my own funeral the van carrying me will have the privilege of entering the venue itself). If I am late I try to double park and block other vehicles. How dare they encroach on the VIP parking place. In India everyone is a VIP (very immature person). Why should we be blamed we take the lead from the leaders.

Any car with a red beacon on top would drop its occupants right up to the event location, if they could they would drive it up the stage to disgorge the privileged neta or bureaucrat. At diespersal time all the Red beacon-ed cars would back up as close to the VIP exit as they can without tripping the VIP him/herself. (they probably would run over the bride or the groom or both if they could drive up to the lagan mandap. Hello ji congratulations ji on Pappus wedding..where is pappu..under your right rear wheel Neta ji. oh..and the bride ..well she is leaving for the funeral parlor as we speak.

Either Indian bureaucrats/policemen/local netas cant walk or their drivers have bets as to who can get the car closest to their VIP's knee. I think it must be the later cause these guys run well when they are being chased by the Tax men, vigilance bureau or CBI sleuths.




No comments: